Author Topic: Just To Say Adios  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 17:02. »
John, it would be a sad loss if you where to leave. You do keep this forum alive. I hope after reading the  support you have got on this thread, you will reconsider. Les, thanks for all you do and I hope you both can get this to work for you somehow.
Phillip

Offline Ash

• Supreme Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 17:12. »
Have to agree with all the comments that have been made

Without divulging the name of the person a comment was aimed at me because I put a post on regarding some drink I had for sale

Since I have owned a property in Spain these forums which have always been an informative way of gaining information but have been regularly spoiled by certain individuals
Let’s hope this can be resolved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stan

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 17:12. »
Hi. I left this forum two years ago because of an attempt by John to limit (censor) views that did not correspond with his. I often have looked at what members had posted since I left. I noticed with some amusement that other long standing members also left for similar reasons. Like Barry and Victor. In my view all posts should be made within the rules but during debate different views will emerge.  I wonder if this is reverse physiology  at work. For example you were really great please don't  go.  It will be interesting if this post is allow to stand I do hope so.
Derek

This forum would be a better place if you made as many interesting posts as John, much better than sniping from the sidelines. Don't stop posting John!

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 17:14. »
Unfortunately there are those who love being helpful and there are those who are not happy unless they are upsetting people, why ? because it makes them feel important. We have all met someone just like it at some time. Thanks for all the help John, you really don’t need the hassle of some some sad, pathetic miserable old sods who have nothing better to do with their lives than whinge. Take care mate.

Graham
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 17:19. by sunseekers »

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 18:36. »
John, as the others have said I think you should reconsider and not let this get to you. Personally, I have never thought that you were "looking with distaste" at any member on here, at times you have censured postings, yes, in order to keep the forum within the rules the principal one of which, IIRC, is "rhetoric with respect". There have been occasions in the past where some members have forgotten this and have needed reminding, such is the job of moderation.

As regards posting, I for one am not a regular contributor, if I have something to ask or a point to make I will do so, if I can help by responding to another's question I will do so, but I don't usually get involved in chit chat and i am sure there are many others like me - but that does not mean that we are not interested in the forum nor want it to continue. On the contrary, I find it an invaluable resource and always have, even in the days of all the fighting and rows that used to take place regularly between the keyboard warriors, most of whom are now long gone.

Considering the positive support you have received above, ask yourself what the majority view is here - I think you already know the answer.

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 22:31. »
Dont panic Mr Mannering im not coming back,but having been made aware of Mr Hs recent post i felt an urge to see what ive been missing. The stats dont lie John underpins the forum, over 15 years he has provided quality and quantity. What the forum does lack is discussion and opinions, most new threads fizzle out rapidly, the forum being just a reference library with John being the librarian. Someone joins,asks a question gets an answer then dissapears into the sunset, never to be heard from again. The issue as i see it is the large amount of armchair voyeurs who stifle debate because they dont agree with something posted. Last year i was even threatened with violence if i didnt say something positive about a local venue. These voyeurs, many of which have posted "please John dont leave " need to up there game and get involved instead of piggybacking others good efforts.
They dont like it up em !

Offline bertdove

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 22:44. »
It´s evident from the responses to your post that the vast majority of members respect and appreciate all the hard work you have put in to make the forum the success it is.  So many of us have benefited from your contributions you have made, and we can only admire the patience you have shown to those few malcontents who would seek to subvert the principles that underlie the forum.

Please reconsider your decision, so that we may all continue to benefit from your experience and good sense.

Bert

Offline jdr

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 22:53. »
Hi John
I do think that the private mail I sent you last night about the issues raised and comments passed by you & others in relation to my posts have made recently unfortunately caused you to say Adios, I did not want YOU to take this action, and I am very disappointed that you have chosen to take this decision. Your input on many social, and leisure issues of hotels, traveling and restaurants both local as well as far off, your advise in travelling as well offers of discount on ferries and hotels, to which I have utilised.
 I feel that my limited but never less ( in my opinion) hopefully helpful contributions to the benifit of all who live and visit GA, and recently much of the input from other members has been to sarcasm correcting my  spelling mistakes and the such like, in the middle of last year as commented on by members it was felt that forum was a little stale, I posted to try and get movement but this did not work for reasons unknown, but it seems that my PRIVATE ( but comments in public forum indicate that some have been shared) mail to John last night has certainly got us ALL posting, so that has worked but not wanting anyone to say Bye bye adios.
As a last comment I am willing to meet you John to hopefully change your mind on saying Adios.
I will put my name below as I will not Hide behind Phenomes like other.
Jim Roberts

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 23:04. »
Don't leave John, utter rubbish from some idiot, your posts have always been helpful and well meant.

Offline jdr

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 23:13. »
Idiot strong word
I have put my name on post
you have not

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 07:54. »
The phrase I recently encountered was "snowflake generation" and the post that has precipitated this thread would appear to fit that description. Often us oldies use such expressions as the"Dunkirk spirit" and I despair for the future of our country if we don't show a bit more backbone. Whilst online stalking and orchestrated bullying is to be deprecated, that has not been in evidence on this Forum and IMHO the post received by John is totally unjustified.

Those that choose to criticise moderators/administrators from the sidelines are often those who are reluctant to show any commitment by offering to do the job themselves.

Offline Stan

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 10:11. »
Jdr needs to check the definition of "Phenomes".

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Just To Say Adios
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 11:05. »
If you look back through the posts, the times there has been problems are when a perfectly innocent thread has been turned personal and it seems to be the same people who do it every time because they love a bit of conflict. The post then becomes totally irrelevant to what the original poster said. Perhaps some could define exactly what the GA Forum is for ie,is it a forum to give out help and hints to people who live here or for people wanting to holiday here or is it a chat room for people to have a dig at one or other.

Graham

Offline Keith and Jen

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 14:21. »
I have contributed to this site for many years starting with the original site produced by Hans and its two or three successors.  Since we only visit GA a couple of times a year, very often we don't have any up-to-date information to impart.

Originally there were many houses/urbs being built and many people needing help finding useful businesses and also needing reassurance that their problems with officialdom and unreliable agents and builders were not unique.  We were extremely grateful for this and the knowlege that we were not alone.

Now that GA is in a more stable and settled state, this has become less of a problem and maybe this is the reason for the lack of posts.  Also social media such as Twitter and Facebook are extensively used and maybe are replacing forums such as this one.  Not being a member of any, I don't know.

There has always been a small amount of bickering.  This is common with many forums.  We always stuck to the mantra "Don't feed the troll".

I am sad that John Hannon has decided to call it a day.  He has been a regular and very useful contributer to the GA forums.  I especially remember the 'Tesco Value Valentine Card' - very amusing.  Some years ago he invited forum members to join him in the Sunset bar.  Only we and Mark Etheridge turned up.  It was nevertheless an interesting and enlightening meeting. 

Good luck and best wishes John.  You will be very much missed.

Admin:

Many web sites have a facility whereby one can donate to the running costs of the site.

If there was a button on this site to enable this, I would gladly contribute.

How about it Les?

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline Brandon

Just To Say Adios
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 15:15. »
Hi John,

You have always been a wealth of valuable information on the forum, which you deliver in a polite manner with plenty of amusing posts also.
In many ways, you are the embodiment of GA and of the forum (no disrespect to the others working away in the background of the forum also)

For those of us still working and visiting GA a number of times each year, I can safely say that many of us look to you and aspire to be where you are now.
You are very helpful to all who ask and I hope you continue to do so long into the future.
The place will certainly not be the same without you and I sincerely hope you return.

Best wishes,
Brandon